Monday, April 30, 2012

Old Schoolhouses

As I drive along the backroads of our state, I often come across an old schoolhouse. Some of these wonderful old structures have been converted to churches or other uses, but most of them are abandoned and left to rot. Sometimes, someone will convert one into a family home, which I think is a great idea. I did find one that had been converted to a community center and another one in the northern part of the state that is part of a reconstructed prairie town, along with a church and railway station. This schoolhouse sits abandoned near a very busy interstate and is surrounded by industrial growth. It's a very impressive structure, larger than most I've seen, and I think its lines are beautiful. Of course, it is pretty much boarded up, but I decided to remove a few boards and paint it as it might have looked long ago (maybe a little more colorful). I will probably paint it several times from different angles, as I think its future is doubtful. Click Daily Paintworks for purchasing information.

Prairie School, acrylic on cradled wood panel, 6" x 6"

No comments: